Monday, June 11, 2007

Off to the printers...

Today was my self-imposed deadline for getting the final version of ''Breastfeeders Anonymous'' off to the publishers... and, I DID IT!!! With a lot of help from my fabulous mum - computer wiz extrodinaire. I wanted to take a photo of the finish ''pile of paper'' before I sent it off and if I'd remembered, I would have posted it on here, but call it mum's brain, breastfeeder's brain, whatever - I forgot! Thus, this is a dull post without pics.

For the next few weeks, while I wait to get the first copy of my baby in my hands, I'll be working hard on soliciting publicity for the book. Scary stuff, because believe it or not, I'm not very good at being pushy.

Anyway in the mean time, thought I'd just share with you a few of the wonderful things that have happened to me over the course of writing this book:
* I kept my brain active and stimulated while researching and writing the book at a time when I could have been tempted to succomb to daytime television and too much ironing - yeah right!
* I learnt so much, not only about breastfeeding but also about other aspects of mummy-hood, such as labour, natural parenting, etc.
* I "met" loads of wonderful people - experts, mums willing to contribute their personal stories and fabulous photos, and people who were simply happy to help out wherever they can. In the last month or so of putting the book together, this has been even more true. I've made some wonderful contacts both personally and professionally.
* I have become a kind of breastfeeding point-of-call to many friends/acquaintances who know of my interest in breastfeeding and who have subsequently come to me for questions, support! Keep coming - breastfeeding is something I love to discuss and love to encourage.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rach, I'm so proud of you and I can't wait to see the end product!! All your hard work and effort is coming to fruition, and I wish you all the absolute best, you deserve it!!! Will be keeping an eye on this blog for sure!!

Anonymous said...

All the best Rach!
Can't wait to read it...as I have heard so much all ready.....

Anonymous said...

Rach a huge congratulations.
I am sure this book will be an amazing success.
Weird to see my nipple on a book but hey I'll do just about anything to get the breastfeeding word out. :)
Can't wait to see the published book.
Fay

Rachael Johns said...

Hey folks

Thanks for all your positive comments!

Fay - yeah, I can imagine it must feel slightly strange, but if it's any consolation both you and your lil'man look perfect!

Nicole Flockton said...

Hi Rachael

Saw your link from the RomAus site and I'm a fellow Perth girl too.

Just a question, your co-author Joy associated with one of the breasfeeding groups up in Perth, namely the South Eastern Suburbs group? I went along a few times with both my children and a Joy was there. She was also on the board so I wonder if it's the same person.

Good luck with your book.

Nicki

Rachael Johns said...

Hiya Nicki

Great that you found your way here - and yes, we're probably talking the same Joy! She is very involved in the ABA in WA and nationally.

Hope to meet you at a RWA somethingorother one day!

Nicole Flockton said...

Yep Rachael I'll be at the conference in August.